Published: Thu, July 19, 2018
Worldwide | By Angelina Lucas

'Extremely enraged': Kim slams local North Koreans for unfinished construction projects

'Extremely enraged': Kim slams local North Koreans for unfinished construction projects

U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has announced that the U.S. and North Korea have agreed to restart joint operations to search for the remains of American soldiers killed in the Korean War.

After entering disarmament talks with the US earlier this year, Mr Kim met in June with US President Donald Trump and agreed to commit to "complete denuclearisation of the Korean Peninsula".

A statement by Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said USA and North Korean officials will hold meetings to coordinate the transfer of remains starting on Monday.

Michael Minihan, an Air Force major general at U.S. Forces Korea who doubles as chief of staff for the U.N. Command (UNC), was representing the U.S. side and his counterpart is expected to be a military commander stationed in the DMZ, the news agency said.

"The DPRK will grant an amnesty to those who had been convicted of the crimes against the country and people on the occasion of the 70th founding anniversary of the DPRK", the state-owned media said.

"I firmly believe that the strong will, honest efforts and unique approach of myself and Your Excellency Mr. President aimed at opening up a new future between the DPRK (Democratic People's Republic of Korea - the country's official name) and the United States will surely come to fruition", Kim wrote.

About 7,700 U.S. military personnel still remain unaccounted for from the Korean War, U.S. military data show.

Maurizio Sarri, Gianfranco Zola agree deals with Chelsea?
Sarri will become the 12th manager to take over the reins at Chelsea since Roman Abramovich bought the London club in 2003. The 48-year-old had two seasons in charge of Chelsea FC and had one year remaining on his contract.

While recovering the war dead would provide Mr Trump a political victory similar to Mr Kim's May release of three living American detainees, it would do little to advance the goal of dismantling the regime's weapons programme.

The North Koreans informed the US delegates that they'll return 50 to 55 sets of remains of USA servicemembers, the official said.

North Korea and the United States conducted joint operations to recover the remains of USA soldiers from 1996 to 2005 but their relations soured as Pyongyang accelerated its nuclear program. Even without a timetable for the process of nuclear dismantlement, Seoul and Pyongyang are rushing to end the armistice and establish a peace regimen by the end of the year.

President Donald Trump took to Twitter again Sunday to lament coverage of his administration and its fight against "fake news", calling much of the US news media "indeed the enemy of the people".

The two sides could reportedly hold working-level talks later to follow up on their discussion in Sunday's meeting.

The US Department of Defense has said that in the past the North has claimed to possess the remains of up to 200 US soldiers.

"A very nice note from Chairman Kim of North Korea", Trump tweeted alongside a copy of the letter.

Like this: