Published: Thu, May 17, 2018
Worldwide | By Angelina Lucas

Florida man killed and burned by exploding vape pen

Florida man killed and burned by exploding vape pen

In an incredibly weird twist, a 38-year-old Florida man has died due to what authorities are calling a "projectile wound of the head" which was caused by his vape device. The man died from a "projectile wound to the head", and also suffered thermal burns on 80% of his body.

The Pinellas County's Medical Examiner ruled the death as accidental.

The projectile was from a section of an e-cigarette.

The vape pen was manufactured by Smok-E Mountain and is a "mod" type, according to the report. The pen does not come with safety features to ensure the device doesn't overheat, according to an online product description. Users inhale the aerosol.

Vaping and e-cigarettes is not as safe as most people think.

An exploding vaping pen caused the world's first death by an e-cigarette explosion.

The health effects related to the ingestion of e-cigarette vapor are still being studied by government agencies.

Ramzan 2018: Islamic holy month - Things you need to know
The vacation of Eid al-Fitr marks the top of Ramadan and the start of the following lunar month. In India, the Muslim brethren are likely to observe Ramadan from Friday.

"The two major causes of dramatic failures with the larger units are overcharging of the battery and then the shorting of the battery", Kiklas said. The company said they've encountered previous issues with other manufacturers creating imitation batteries.

In past cases where e-cigarettes have exploded or ignited, the battery is typically blamed.

Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) which keeps stats on e-cigarettes reported that there were 195 incidents in which e-cigs exploded or caught fire in the USA between 2009 and 2016 - 38 of these resulted in injuries classed as "severe".

A former CNBC producer has passed away after his e-cigarette exploded and became lodged in his skull, according to a newly released autopsy.

And a vape pen exploded in a man's trousers in 2016 in New York, NBC4 reported. He suffered third-degree burns. The cite also lists safety tips that may help prevent e-cigarette explosions in certain circumstances.

"We've put the caution out before", Kiklas said. "That's typically the biggest issue which causes batteries to fail", he said.

Like this: